Monday, July 7, 2014

Mere Dad Ki Maruti review

MERE DAD KI MARUTI:
THOUGH IT MAY NOT APPEAL TO PEOPLE WHO AREN’T BOLLYWOOD FANS, IT HAS ITS SHARE OF HUMOR AND HEART TO BOOT!
By Nico Beland
Movie Review: B- (3 stars)

Sameer, Tej, and Jasleen in Mere Dad Ki Maruti

            My first review of a Bollywood movie; I really should have seen this coming. For those of you who don’t know, Bollywood movies are Hindi films made outside of the Hollywood system, and are usually made in India.
            They mostly consist of characters singing, dancing, and having a great time, there’s often comedy put in and some heart behind it.
            This being one of them, Mere Dad Ki Maruti, set in Chandigarh, where a wedding is about to take place. Father, Tej Khullar bought a new Maruti car for his daughter and soon-to-be son in law.
            Unfortunately things get out of hand when his college going son, Sameer secretly takes the car for a little joy ride, to impress the hottest girl in school, Jasleen. It soon becomes chaos when the car gets stolen, trouble with the law, and a disappointed father.
            While Bollywood films aren’t really my style, I thought Mere Dad Ki Maruti overall was decent. The characters are funny and amusing to watch and there’s plenty of gags and humor to boot.
            I guess my only issue is the plot, it’s pretty much a Hindi knockoff of Dude Where’s My Car, but that’s not really a major problem with the movie nor does it distract from everything else.
            It was an interesting experience during my time of being a “Moviewatchin’ Psychopath!” to watch a Bollywood film, aside from the traditional Hollywood made movies that I usually see in the cinema.
            This may lead to me trying out more Bollywood movies on Netflix or Xfinity On Demand, perhaps if I watched more of them, I would have the right mind set to discuss these types of movies.

            If you’re a fan of Bollywood films or foreign language movies, you’ll probably like it okay, but people who focus mainly on the Hollywood system may not be that engaged, but it’s worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment